Saturday, January 30, 2010

Fwd: Chopsticks & Cornflakes

I shouldn't be suprised that a 3 year old in China knows how to use chopsticks, but it's still remarkable to see Josh's dexterity using them (he also uses a spoon, fork, knife).

Jackson fulfilled another one of his goals for the trip.....holding a live eel! Many restaurants here have aquariums outside where patrons can pick out their entree.  The assortment includes many kinds of live fish, shrimp, turtles, and sometimes eels.  Jackson went up to look at the eels and the manager picked one out and let him hold it.  The one time we didn't have a camera with!  We'll have to go back tomorrow.

Today was a finally a very sunny day and reached about 70 degrees here.  To warm for jeans for Jackson and I (we wore shorts).  Our hotel is in a non-touristy area, there are apartment complexes and neighborhood business all around us (which has been great for walking and getting a feel for everyday life in Guangzhou.  We're a bit of a novelty here as the only tourists seem to be those adopting (adoptions have shrunk to 5k last year vs 14k 3 years ago).  Jackson, Josh, and I walked around the neighborhood businesses today looking for some toys :)   At one small shop, a small crowd gathered and people were gawking at us.  My initial reaction was that they were admiring my white legs, but I realized they were astonished that the crazy Americans would wear shorts and short sleeves in this "cold winter weather".

-Brad

1 comment:

  1. Yeah - I'm thinking your first reaction was right. They were blinded by those glow-in-the dark legs! ;) Very fun that the pool/swimming has been such a hit with Joshua, especially in a family that likes to swim so much!

    ReplyDelete